About a year ago I set to memorizing Exodus 14:13 and 14.
But Moses told the people, "Do not be afraid. Just stand where you are and watch the LORD rescue you. The Egyptians you see today will never be seen again. The LORD himself will fight for you. You won't have to lift a finger in your defense!"
I took great delight in these verses as I struggled to forgive some people in my life and somethings that I had viewed as "trangressions". I thought if I lay these people and feelings in the "Red Sea" God will simply "wash them away" and I won't have to deal with them again.
I was wrong. Ugly feelings towards these people and situations resurfaced a few weeks ago. Bitterness, irritations and the dust bunnies started hopping around in my heart. So I decided to memorize these verses again and claim victory over my "trangressors".
This morning I read Exodus 14 to refresh my cobweb coated brain about the context of this passage to make sure what I was understanding was correct. Ultimate victory could be had "without lifting a finger". But here's the thing... I was missing the verse that followed. Verse 15.
THEN the LORD said to Moses, "Why are you crying out to me? Tell the people to get moving!"
OOPS! So often I expect God to do all the work and proudly claim- FAITH. However, many times throughout the Bible the Lord says "Get moving!" or "Go into the world and do" commanding a required action on my part. Active forgiveness...active faith.
The relationship between faith and works (actions) is a difficult one for me to reconcile, yet very clearly in this passage God says..."GET MOVING!"
Lord, forgive me for my complacency in active participation. May this be a year of reconciliation in the relationship of faith and deeds. May I become an active participant, not to bring the light to me, rather to reflect your light and to bring you the glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment